Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Let's get connected, yeah yeah yeah

Soo, exploring the great interwebs is fun. I really do spend too much time doing it. And my Firefox "bookmarks" thing isn't that great because organizing is a bit of a hassle and not everything fits that well into specific folders. So hmm, what about a social bookmarking site? Which one will be best for me? Well, what am I looking for? I'm not that big on networking, but if people have some of the same interests and have found new, different things--awwesome. I guess the key words I should be searching up would be "Bible", "translation", and then maybe "missions", if "Bible"+"translation" is still too broad. So let's see...

Stumbleupon is too fun. A search doesn't bring me anything too interesting that I didn't really already know about. I'll use this site to procrastinate.

Of course, Citeulike is a keeper, just because it's so academic. I don't know if it exactly has information that I'd want specifically regarding Bible translation, but it wouldn't hurt to dig around and to use it for other classes and research, too.

Trailfire and Twine are...interesting...but the overall concept of both of them are not really what I'm looking for. Looking at someone's trail is a bit weird. Do I really need to have all this information fed to me? Twine is a bit better cuz I guess multiple people can contribute to a specific topic, but still. I'd rather find my own stuff my own way. Besides, searching up my specific tags in these two sites don't bring up a lot for me.

And too bad an iceberg hit RSS Ma.gnolia. I've heard good things about it, especially presentation. I guess its saved webpages for users aren't exactly "unsinkable". This aspect of Magnolia makes me think of Furl, and after looking up my tags, I think I could use this one, especially if I really want to be able to save webpages. I don't know if I want/need to yet. I mean, I don't currently even use a bookmarking site anyway, so...I guess I won't know if I need it until I try stuff out. A plus is that, with the ability to make and join groups, this site's social life seems pretty healthy.

Although Digg is so popular, I'm afraid it's too popular. It's like "popular" music--people generally like it, but it's not that substantial. Not for my topic, anyway. The simple search of "bible translation" actually brings this friend:

No results Found

Every site I've mentioned so far have actually at least brought me something, whether its stuff related purely to translation or to Bible study. So maybe Digg just has a really bad search engine tool thing but nevertheless--in my opinion, Digg has limited value: it's purely a casual, "Hmm what's up..." site.

And now... down to the juicy, meaty bits: Delicious and Diigo!! Delicious has so many dang users--a plus--because there's a lot showing up in my searches. Besides that, its layout is friendly. Its delicious.. and friendly... so tempting... But let's not forget Diigo. Community here seems to be stressed a lot more. With Diigo, it's so much easier to communicate within the community because of the highlighting and sticky noting. Verry niice... Delicious and Diigo together... I like...

--kowai-kawaii

(And check out what I found today!: The Johnson family in Papua New Guinea.)

No comments:

Post a Comment