Are we supposed to have one soulmate? I think I might have two: let's say I'm Christine Daae:
I have a Raoul:
and a Phantom:
Raoul I have known for a while and he provides me with stability. The Phantom is a recent adventure, very enriching...
Yeah... no, my analogy ends here because I personally feel that the Phantom is a crazy, bitter person. Anyway--can I do this? Is it cool behavior to have two soulmates? Can I even call them my "soulmates" if I have more than one?
I have a Raoul:
Raoul I have known for a while and he provides me with stability. The Phantom is a recent adventure, very enriching...Yeah... no, my analogy ends here because I personally feel that the Phantom is a crazy, bitter person. Anyway--can I do this? Is it cool behavior to have two soulmates? Can I even call them my "soulmates" if I have more than one?
Oh, but before we get too philosophical, who are my "loves"? Well, it's kind of embarrassing to admit it, but I found them online. Through Delicious. But it's even more embarrassing to admit that my love for them is unrequited. At least, they probably don't know I exist. That's fine, cuz I haven't introduced myself to them, so I don't expect anything. (Maybe they aren't my soulmates, if I don't care whether they know of my existence or not...) Enough dilly-dallying. Let me introduce them to you!
The "soulmate" I had in mind as Raoul, just because I recognized this name (the way Christine and Raoul recognize each other in the early part of the story) is:
Kouya. You might sort-of remember this name from my January 29th post (if indeed you, reader, clicked on the link I provided for "the Arthurs' 'blog'"). "Kouya" is the Arthurs, Eddie and Sue of the UK. I was excited to see that they also use Delicious. Bible translators for twenty years, they have a clear interest in related, additional topics, such as ethnomusicology, the Jesus film, etc. The sad thing is that their participation at Delicious seems to be on hold. Not having commented on any bookmarks, yet having made tags into convenient bundles, the last bookmark marked of their less than 30 bookmarks was marked June 2006. Best stick to their active blog. Maybe my second "soulmate" will be more...present and available.
Or a little too present and available, if I'm still rolling with my analogy, and he were the crazy-pedophilic-kidnapping Phantom. Irregardless, the second one is Maigemu. A currently active user of Delicious, Maigemu's interests include a lot of intellectual aspects of Christianity. Some tags include Calvinism, Arminianism, eschatology, and theology. See, very brainy. A slight departure from Bible translation, yes, but nonetheless, a good indicator of a sharp, well-rounded mind. Nearing 1300 tags, this guy is at treasure trove of information. Too bad his tags aren't organized into little convenient bundles the way Kouya's are.
Well, if I were still Christine, and Maigemu the Phantom, he'd teach me this song to perform and share with you all: Interserve International. This organization is
a network of Christians from all over the world who, using their professional skills, work together to serve people of Asia and the Arab world - getting alongside them in tackling material, physical, mental and spiritual needs. (emphasis added)I know many mission organizations have this same type of focus (though not necessarily to the same regions of the world), but I'd just like to remind myself and you, readers, that Bible translation isn't just about learning a language and translating some words. It's about doing what those words actually say--which is to love God and to love our neighbors. What better way to love than to serve by doing what we can for others holistically? Help to give people what they need, just the way Jesus did with us!
--kowai-kawaii
No comments:
Post a Comment