Monday, April 13, 2009

The Future of _____

Medicine? No. Business? Sort of. Mission? Yes.

The future of mission=Business as Mission

wuzzat mean? (and why can't I write in complete sentences?) It means that more and more missionary work in the future will look more... businessy.

"And KK (kool nickname for kowai-kawaii), why is this so?" Let me spell it out for you! (Not because I think you need me to, but because I don’t know any other way to make this a more “interesting” intro--sorry.)

We all know that the quality of life in "Western"(ized) places are not as great as they can be for the average person (in "Western"(ized) places). If those who choose to obey and follow Jesus actually do what He greatly commissions them to do (ie. the Great Commission, har har, "go and make disciples of all nations" in Mt. 28:19-20) they also need to "love one another" as is frequently mentioned in the Bible. One of the best ways to love others around the world is to create jobs for them. This is where business comes in.

We can start up businesses. We have the capital (maybe not right now in this economy...) If we feel like we have little--I think we actually have a lot more compared to others. So lets do something good with our money. Let's make even more! For good, of course. Makes sense.

Even if I think the future of mission includes Business as Mission companies, I don't think the future of mission ONLY includes the "Business as Mission" movement, per se. It's not the automobile, here to replace the horse-drawn carriage. Think of it instead as... the hybrid or the electric car. It does the same things as a regular car, just in a different way. Hopefully the people in contact with such a company benefit both socioeconomically and spiritually as well.

--kowai-kawaii

No comments:

Post a Comment